Celebrating Earth Science Week with the CrAzY Fossil Dig, Saturday, November 1, 2014
National Earth Science Week is October 12th-18th. The Mineral Wells National Fossil Day event, the Crazy Fossil Dig, will be held a little later this year, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, November 1. Bring the whole family or your favorite, fun-loving group!
The event features:
- “Tools of the Trade” display of the various tools used by fossil hunters while looking for and extracting fossils.
- Fossil identification. Bring in your finds and Dallas Paleontology Society volunteers will try to identify the object and provide some information regarding it.
- Hands-on samples of the various types of fossils that exist in Texas, with supporting materials describing them.
- Museum-quality objects found and prepared by members of the Dallas Paleontological Society.
- “FBI” handouts for kids. The Fossil Bureau of Investigation is a sub-division of the Dallas Paleontological Society and will have materials for kids to join in the fun of the science of Paleontology.
- History Lessons about the Fossil Park
- Guided walks around the park
COME DIG FOR FOSSILS WITH US! The first 50 attendees will receive a commemorative Mineral Wells Fossil Park apron, design especially for your next outdoor paleontological adventure! For more information, call the Mineral Wells Area Chamber of Commerce at (940) 325-2557.